8.24.2008

baseball (and aging?)

Friday night is date night. Friday night is also student night at Camden Yards... a.k.a. Baltimore Orioles ball park a.k.a. Ben's favorite baseball team. The Orioles or the O's played the NYYankees, Ben's least favorite baseball team. NYY's hottest player= Derek Jeter. O's hottest player= Brian Roberts. (Ben just shakes his head at this.)
It was a lot of fun driving to Baltimore. The George Washington Memorial Pkwy (which we take to get to the temple) and the Baltimore-Washington Pkwy (which we took on Friday) are both incredibly beautiful. Both freeways are completely enclosed by huge green trees. The baseball park is beautiful as well, with a view of the Baltimore skyline in front of you. Part of the park (outside where one can buy food and souvenirs) is Eutaw Street. Get it? :)

The game didn't turn out as we wanted, but it was exciting. Any sort of game is so much more fun when you or someone you are with really loves one of the teams playing. The even "funner" thing is that at Camden Yards, you can bring your own food! Ben and I made yummy sandwiches and brought some orange O's snacks: carrots, clementines and candy corn! We then splurged a little on the desserts. First we got cotton candy because I've only had it once or twice (in my childhood)--- it's just one of those sugar temptations I feel like I was denied of most of my life. Because of Friday, I'm good for the next twenty or so years.
Then... we got dippin' dots, which some of you may know is the ice cream of the future and has been for twenty years now. Ben had never experienced it--- and of course it's not the best treat ever, but it's just exciting to try.
Candy corn! (Stuck in traffic, a favorite pastime for us DCers.)
See what I mean? Totally awesome.
I just thought this was a super cool clock.
I love the sweeping of the sand. Doesn't really make sense to me--- but it's the Major Leagues... so who knows?
Experiencing "the ice cream of the future."
The guy that took this has something against short people.
I got to wear Ben's old jacket. And I looked really cool while doing it.
This is the moment we realized there was no hope... and we were losing. But I said, "We look so sad."
So we took this photo.
I posted this because I'm making a very "Shayna" face and it made me laugh.
Ben was so happy to hang with the O's for a night.
Leaving the ball park at about 11pm. Eu-taw street :)

It was a great night. Baseball is so fascinating to me. If a baseball player hits 1 of every 3 balls, he is considered pro. Secondly, the whole "I-play-sports-for-a-living" thing kind of baffles me. I've been taught to work before play but these men get to do both at the same time. Inevitably, I'm sure the novelty wares off after awhile. Lastly, there are no timers in baseball. This makes it unpredictable. I believe my father-in-law once sat through a 15-inning game. Our game was still the traditional 9 innings... and even then we got home late--- so Ben carried me to bed :)


To finish this post, I turn to one of my two biggest fears: aging. (The other is spiders.) On Sunday morning I found two silvery white hairs on Ben's head. So I got the tweezers and got rid of the little traitors. I then went to the bathroom to shower and there on my head was my very own silvery white hair! AHH!! The only other white hair(s) I've found on my head was when I was 18. Perhaps it's only something that will happen to me every four years. At least I hope so.

No comments: