10.23.2008

firsts

I know that Emily is the one who usually blogs, but from my own desire to blog and at her prodding I have decided to write my first blog. Yesterday Emily and I drove to Leesburg Virginia to attend a rally for Barack Obama. We got there a little late so we couldn't get super close. But after the rally we found the motorcade and waited. Soon enough Senator Obama's motorcade drove by and he waved to us.


This is Emily waving to Barack














Here is the video of the motorcade




Obama signed books after wards (major regret that we didn't bring a book)















I think it is great that Emily and I live in Virginia especially as the presidential election winds down. I have never been in such a politically exciting place at such an exciting time. I know first hand that good people disagree on political issues. But it makes me very sad to hear those who say that those that are "liberal" or those voting for Obama are un American in some way. Patriotic people disagree on political issues but we should respect others opinions and not assume that those who disagree with us are unpatriotic. In the end we should respect what others in our democracy have to say and not put down others who don't share our own political beliefs.

In closing I think that JFK described best why I am Liberal and why I am voting for Obama.
"What do our opponents mean when they apply to us the label "Liberal?" If by "Liberal" they mean, as they want people to believe, someone who is soft in his policies abroad, who is against local government, and who is unconcerned with the taxpayer's dollar, then ... we are not that kind of "Liberal." But if by a "Liberal" they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people -- their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, and their civil liberties -- someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a "Liberal," then I'm proud to say I'm a "Liberal." [September 14, 1960]

No comments: