10.02.2008

visits & adventures

Last week Ben's parents came to visit because, well... they love us but also because Dave had some work out here. So Linda and I (and sometimes Ben) got to be together during the day and explore :) The night Dave and Linda got here, we went down to the Air Force Memorial and the new Pentagon Memorial (dedicated on September 11th). Both memorials are super close to our house, so we see them almost everyday, but we hadn't stopped and looked at them closely yet.

This is the view of the Air Force memorial we see almost everyday. The highest of the three (far right) was positioned to represent the flight path of the plane that hit the Pentagon on September 11, 2001.

This is the Air Force star in the middle of the memorial. You can see the Washington monument in the background.

This is the new Pentagon memorial. There is a "bench" for each person who died either in the plane or in the Pentagon. If you are reading the name of the person (the skinny part) and you are facing away from the Pentagon, it means they died in the plane and visa versa.
September 11th was more of NYC thing to me until this year...


Ben, Linda and I got to go to the National Cathedral, which is actually an Episcopalian cathedral and not Catholic. Who knew? It was beautiful.

You know me... I loved the stained glass :)

I was totally fascinated by these flowers. They looked like corkscrews--- which is funny because they are called corkscrew vines. Next time we have a big event, I'm getting these.


On Tuesday we went to the Mount Vernon, George Washington's place of residence. This is Ben with the Potomac behind him.

All of us in front of the home of George. It was so fun inside (we couldn't take pictures)--- a lot of green walls. We got to explore the grounds a lot as well. It was a lot of fun.


Linda and I got to go to the National Arboretum and learn about "power plants"--- plants which are used for bio-fuels, et cetera. These are soybeans and made me want to eat Edamame.

We visited the herb garden (one of the only things in bloom this time of year). This is cockscomb, the flower I really wanted in my bridal bouquet but it was unfortunately really hard to get.

There was a fish pond and the fish followed us all the way down the pond because they thought we were going to feed them. I loved the arboretum (and so did Linda)! I'm excited to go back in the spring when more is in bloom.


One of my favorite things was going to get crabs at Tim's River Shore. It's about 45 minutes from where we live, so it is way out of the city and right on the Potomac. Going all the way out there is worth it because it is all about the experience. Crab tastes so much better when you have to work for it. And it's just a lot of fun!

Somehow I always chose the crabs with only one front pincer thinger.

Yes, Ben does Rulz.

Well it was a lovely week and I hope next time we can make it to Dumbarton Oaks in Georgetown :)

No comments: