12.03.2008

it was thanksgiving time...

After 12 hours+ of traveling home yesterday--- I realized, the exhausting process of getting home was completely worth spending the past week with my family. I love how simple it is to get together, to love and laugh together. I know it sounds cheesy, but I think that's what family is for--- to bring out the cheesy in you.

Ben and I were super excited to be able to enjoy Cafe Rio, Twentyfive Main, In 'n' Out Burger and Bajio. Even though we love our home in Virginia and we love the benefits of living where we do--- we do enjoy those things in Saint George. The warm weather was quite the bonus as well.
(the following two photos are my favorite of the trip!!)
Ben and I were the first to arrive, on Sunday. Paul and Eunnie and b Paul arrived later that night, this is when I learned I love to hear b Paul say "Elmo." Monday, we enjoyed a small hike to the quaint white sand dunes near Snow Canyon, where b Paul just wanted to play more and more. We also enjoyed some Cafe Rio: pork salad mmm hmmm. Later that night, Kristen, Edee, Brooklyn, Sam and Annie arrived. All the baby cousins together is way too much fun to handle.

Tuesday we enjoyed a lovely lunch at the fab Twentyfive Main with Linds and Randy. Cupcakes and panini... yummmmm. We love you guys!!! Later, the ladies and I shopped for food and other things--- since we planned to have a mini Christmas on Saturday.

(below: brooklyn & sam really enjoyed dressing up :))
Wednesday was a rainy day so we visited the Wildlife Museum: a collection of animals of a certain family's travels around the globe. It was really fun and fascinating. Cafe Rio, again. Then, Ben and I started to make things for the following day--- his wonderful mashed potatoes and I made cupcakes as well as white cheddar apple pie. We did this early so we could avoid the crowds on Thanksgiving. Shayna & Eric, Brandon and Alan arrived on Wednesday, making the family gathering complete.

Thursday was a mad rush to get the feast prepared. I was feeling very grateful for the oven and for the large kitchen. The oven managed to fit about four things at once. My mother did a smart thing and borrowed a turkey roaster from a generous neighbor so the turkey did not take up any spare space in the oven. Everything was delicious and stuck to tradition, which is always nice. I think I manage to stuff myself less and less each year, which is sad. But I kind of just sat at the table for a while after and munched and munched. Ben started a 750 piece puzzle later on, a tradition in his family--- and soon many in my family were working on it. Puzzles are hard!
Friday we had toyed with the idea of braving the masses at 5am for black Friday deals, but instead we slept in. We went to In 'n' Out: totally packed. Later we got a babysitter and all the adults went to see "Australia." It was beautiful and I heart Baz Luhrman.

Saturday we had our mini Christmas. I got the most excited about the things Ben and I were giving. I love to give successful presents. The kids loved the mini Christmas and got the most, of course. Baby clothes and toys are too fun to pass up. Thanks all for the very nice presents!! We had Cafe Rio again. Eun and I tie-dyed. I'm stoked about Ben's Christmas tie-dye and my new skirt! Later we decorated gingerbread houses, a must around Thanksgiving time. Then we watched Kung Fu Panda: really funny! (below: my "green" house & the A,S&A masterpiece)
Sunday we took some family photos. It's amazing to think our family is continually getting bigger and bigger. Then we endured the sadness of departures of S&E and K,A,S&A. Later, the remaining people went to feed the mean ducks near the golf course with a rock hard baguette. Good times :) My dad surprised us and made caramel popcorn, one of his masterpieces. (below: one of the mean ducks)
Monday P,E&bP left at 1am and then at 4:36am we went with B,E&B to the airport in Vegas. (Turns out they missed all their flights that day= awful. Sorry guys!!!) We got back to SG and we were able to run some errands and then meet up with Linds and Randy again for lunch at In 'n' Out. L&R are my favorite SG lunch buddies!! Ben and I got things for Christmas cards, which was nice because we were able to make them at home and put some of them together. That evening we enjoyed Bajio with my parents and a nice chat!

We loved our trip and we miss you all, already!!

No comments: