8.10.2009

the house on mango street

have you ever read the house on mango street? i read it for the first time when i was a in high school. and i'm not sure how many times i've read it since.

but i was delighted when i found it at goodwill not too long ago.

it's simple & inspiring. so... you might see me posting some excerpts from time to time. it's that good. it really hits me right in the heart.

"Someday I will have a best friend, all my own. One I can tell my secrets to. One who will understand my jokes without my having to explain them. Until then I am a red balloon, a balloon tied to an anchor."

"Marin, under the streetlight, dancing by herself, is singing the same song somewhere. I know. Is waiting for a car to stop, a star to fall, someone to change her life."

-Sandra Cisneros

6 comments:

The Yellow Door Paperie said...

This is on my top 10 books.

Thanks for the reminder!

Rose Red said...

That's beautiful. I have never heard of that book.

Shanna Suburbia said...

I read this freshmen year of high school! This is my favorite quote from the book:
"You can't erase what you know. You can't forget who you are."
-Sandra Cisneros, "House on Mango Street"

Kay Davis said...

"Someday I will have a best friend, all my own. One I can tell my secrets to. One who will understand my jokes without my having to explain them. Until then I am a red balloon, a balloon tied to an anchor."

I love this.
xo

Sarah said...

Me too. I just love it.

kathleen said...

I'll have to read this. LOVE the quotes... so beautiful!