4.09.2010

a little tour of gw's campus

this little tour of gw is dedicated to my sister shayna.
because she likes to see photos of places i spend a lot of my time.
and because i was talking with her on the phone when i took all these photos.
and she feels famous when she's mentioned on my blog. these are the women's studies and anthropology departments. i LOVE that most of gw's department buildings are row houses. i love the gw. it's fabulously located. i have learned SO MUCH. and even though sometimes i feel like i am crazy overwhelmed and i can't take another minute, i'm glad i've kept with it. i learn something new everyday even if it's not something i read for class.
i was telling some wonderful women the other night about my brand of feminism. because, if you didn't know, there are many types of feminism. and just to clarify, feminism isn't something you should be afraid of.
i believe anyone can be a feminist. i believe we as feminists need to work together towards solidarity and a common goal. i believe we as feminists can help each other.
i have the same beliefs for anthropologists--- that we all need to work together towards our goals. anthropologists need to realize (especially white, western anthropologists) that we cannot speak for other people [like i'm doing right now]; we need to help and not hurt. we need to do more listening before doing.

i just needed you to know.

*thanks l,n,h,e for inspiring me.

14 comments:

shayna said...

HOLY CRAP....I'm famous. I'm so super overwhelmed. What do famous people do when they're overwhelmed?

sarahowens said...

LOL Shayna!

Emily you do indeed speak for me, just so you know. And I thank you for doing it. Bravo on another brilliant post!

*Lesli* said...

What a beautifully historic campus! Have a lovely weekend! ps. anthropology was one of my very favorite classes in college.

Cassandra said...

a very beautiful campus indeed...makes me miss my own days studying out in the sunshine...loved those moments...

Anna said...

Geography is also closely related to womens studies and anthropology. Even though i'm a physical geographer i've learned so much about gender, power structures, and social/cultural inequality through my program...it's amazing! p.s. I LOVE your shoes!

Elizabeth said...

Haha, Shayna's comment cracks me up!

Rose Red said...

Your campus is gorgeous.

I'm so glad that I have found another LDS feminist. You rock!

our little love nest said...

Loving your campus! It makes me want to go back to school. Happy weekend! xo

our little love nest said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bridget said...

that's sooo pretty - in another life maybe i would've gone to school elsewhere besides boston!

although... it mightve been pepperdine.

THEN gw!!!!

Alycia (Crowley Party) said...

um adorable is that school?!

communikate. said...

What an amazing experience to go to school there! I love the row houses and the brick and the HISTORY! :)

The Proctor Group said...

Paul and I both think the campus is beautiful!

hanner said...

i found your blog through rose's blog and i'm in gw's museum studies program... it's a great campus to study at! lucky us to be in the underfunded departments that get to be in the bitty rowhouses :) i've been wanting to fit in an anthro or women's studies class; maybe i can next spring.