4.01.2010

santiago (ben's home for 2 years)

this is a special post.

when ben was a missionary (for the lds church)... he learned a lot and grew a lot (his heart grew and his legs grew). for those who may not know, when men and women in the lds church reach a certain age, they are able to serve missions throughout the world. a lot of the time, these missions consist of learning a new language and moving somewhere you've never been before (read more about missions, here). ben holds his mission to santiago, la republica dominicana very close to his heart and i felt very very happy i was able to visit all the places he lived and meet people he knew, people that really love him for the time he spent in the dominican republic. these 5 shots are all the houses in which ben lived. i was so impressed he remembered how to find all of these places without any map or address...
ben's favorite drink while on his mission
this is overlooking santiago. i LOVE this last shot of ben. it just seems so fitting.

10 comments:

shayna said...

Now this is what it's all about...I love to see Ben in his element.

Megan Marie said...

That little kid you are holding is soooooo adorable. I want to gobble him up.

My husband joined the church after he was too old to serve a mission, and I can't help feeling he missed out. Ben looks so happy with the families he served. Someday we'll go on a mission together.

I keep telling him that I want to go to the dominican republic. He didn't get why until I showed him your pictures. :)

Rose Red said...

Amazing photos. You have to post some of Ben while he was on his mission. I can't wait to see where Jared served his mission.

Elizabeth said...

Chill bumps! I've always loved the idea of going on a mission. My mother did when she was my age. It seems so intrepid!

Linds said...

i also thought it was cool that randy could remember where he lived. must have been one of those life changing things, eh?

i would love to see some more pictures of ben when he was on his mission :)

p.s. heart your green chacos.

sienna said...

these are very great pictures. looks like a wonderful place to be a missionary.

Brittany said...

what a neat trip. all of my best friends from high school and college are just starting to come home and i am amazed at how changed they are. missions are so wonderful. i'm glad you got to see a little of ben's.

Alycia (Crowley Party) said...

THIS is SO cool :) I wish I could do something like this someday with my hubberz.

Ro Ro Riot said...

I love the picture of you and the kid. Your freckles are so attractive there. I love how happy Ben looks.

Peggy said...

Ben lived in some really nice looking places. the houses are very nicely designed and clean looking. Beautiful. love it! and you!

Ben looks so happy to see the people he shared such love/ truth with. Nothing brings more joy that sharing the "good news" that makes peoples lives better and happier.