7.16.2010

an impulse buy that turned into homemade raspberry-coconut gelato

williams-sonoma has their delonghi gelato maker on sale right now. and it's even less expensive in-store. so we went to the pentagon city mall and bought one last night.
it's one of those things we've been wanting, badly... but couldn't quite justify buying (until last night!).

and we're glad we made this impulse buy. it's a great piece of machinery--- it spins the ingredients in an airtight compartment which really makes it creamy and dense like actual gelato. we were pretty impressed with our raspberry-coconut homemade gelato.

i will admit, i am a gelato snob--- but for the gelato being homemade and being 4,000ish miles from milano... it was pretty good.

12 comments:

kELLO! said...

ah! so cool. i NEED one. :)

Peggy said...

My mouth is watering. That sounds so much better than my cuke and tomatoe that I just cut up and ate for breakfast. That is middle eastern and not milanese, but pretty refreshing with a little yogurt or kefir, olive oil and seasoning. But, I want gelato!

Rose Red said...

Yum! I've only had gelato a few times, but each time it was delicious. When I was little my grandpa would make homemade ice cream. I remember thinking it was the greatest thing ever.

Little Miss Tiara said...

omg coolness! I want one of that too! So I can have gelato anytime I want! :O

and aaahhh!!! berry! I'm such a sucker for any-berry!

our little love nest said...

Yum!! I've got a major longing for a delonghi gelato maker. Lucky bum! :)

our little love nest said...

Ha...I giggled when I re-read what I wrote since it not only sounded like a little kid, but it also slightly rhymed.

Alison said...

what a fantastic impulse buy! someday, you must share the recipe you used ;)

communikate. said...

shut up. that's fantastic.

so.. i want to send you a little surprise.
what's your address? email me.. k8bess@gmail.com

iheartkiwi said...

if you have to be a snob about something i think gelato is totally justifiable. only the best will do!

kiwi and i have been using our ice cream maker like crazy this summer. now you've got me wanting to try gelato making :)

MyLittlePhotographs said...

WE ARE SOOO MUCH ALIKE! I saw it the other day and thought I "I have to get it" But it was a bit expensive for 2 college students.. so we went with the cheaper one, but I did really want that one. Chocolate ice cream is my favorite

Dawn said...

just came across your blog and i Love it! Thanks for sharing...hope you don't mind me taggin' along:)
happy day to you!
dawn:)

Claire said...

I've been wanting an ice cream maker myself but there's always an excuse ("I'll only use it 2x a year"; "There's no space to store it", etc. etc.) But your post tells me, "Forget the excuses and get one!" :)