8.23.2010

camping by the ocean & the ponies

we camped at assateague island national seashore in maryland over the weekend. assateague is famous for its "ponies" that live on and roam freely about the island. aside from being afraid that horses would join us in our tent and the influx of mosquitos, it was a great place to camp--- a place we want to come back to in the fall or spring. ponies on the beach friday night.
some people were fishing on the beach and accidentally caught a sand shark. whoopsie.
late night beach walk
sunrise.
our friend the deer grazing near our campsite
the horse with the emo haircut
on the lovely beach right near our campsite
it was my first time swimming in the atlantic ocean... and ben's first time in a long time.

i kind of wish we could have stayed at the beach longer but there are always things that need to be done and food to be eaten. i'm really happy we went and it's definitely a place i want to go back to.

post edit: 2:43 pm... i lied. i have swam in the atlantic. in florida, when i was a youngin'. sorry.

17 comments:

Cassandra said...

wow! how amazing! I've never camped at the ocean...

love the pony with the emo hair.

The Yellow Door Paperie said...

Ahhhh I want to be where you are!

our little love nest said...

I want to go there so badly! Beautiful shots!
xo

shayna said...

I seriously know a guy that look exactly like that horse with the emo haircut.

Bridget said...

justin bieber in horse form!

i haven't been to assateague -- my family camped there before i was born though and they still to this day refer to it!

looks awesome.

*Lesli* said...

that looks kind of magical. i love the emo horse too. The atlantic ocean is cold...at least in Maine...

Rose Red said...

How fun! You two have the best weekend trips.

Caroline said...

I love camping!! Glad you guys had fun!! xo

Peggy said...

Oh, I love the deer and the pony and the dear girl with the pony tail. The photos and the place and your company is awesome. The twin umbrellas photo is great too. Keep traveling for us so we don't have go ourselves and endure the mosquitoes and horse breath.

ahlin said...

oh my gosh that is so cool! that is definitely going on my 'places to go' list.

Jocelyn said...

how fun! we used to go camping on chincoteague island every year when I was a kid. thanks for jogging fun memories of seeing the horses at the beach:-)

MyLittlePhotographs said...

awww the deer was so close to your tent. How cute! I've never been camping near the beach but this looks like a lot of fun! I may have to try it. I know theres a spot here where you canoe to the channel islands and you apparently camp next to the ocean... We were thinking of trying it but haven't gotten around to doing it. Kind of tempted now

laden backpack said...

let's make this simple..loved the photos, some nice stuff there Emily M. don't care for horses other than to look at them, in the mountains there are the cause of stampedes, rodeos and yard sales (that's were they run out in a meadow and spread everything out of their packs all over the meadow like they want to have a yard sale.) Let's keep the horses on the beach.
Best beach I ever did see was punta final on the cortez sea. Landed just before the sun went down, pitched the tent, think amelia badelia, and then made spagetti and lobster by the light of the moon on a backpacking stove. You can eat a brick with butter on it. An unforgettable time on the beach. Keep em coming kid.

Rhianne said...

hehe I love the horse with the emo hair!

Caught a shark?! wow!

kELLO! said...

omg that picture of the horse is SO AWESOME!

Courtney said...

It appears to me that you have perfect skin. I'm just gonna say it....I'm jealous!

You two are too cute!

Laura said...

It is beautiful! We've been meaning to go there. Your pictures make me want to go even more.