11.02.2010

incomplete.

not too long ago i heard someone talk about perfection and one of its definitions: to be complete.

lately i've been thinking a lot about perfection. and what it means.

and about how... what it means to me, doesn't mean the same thing to you

and about the idea of always looking forward to something and always living to the next thing.
i was thinking of the strange idea of being so valued and labeled by my accomplishments and by my grades and promotions and by who i know.

and then i was listening to "incomplete" by alanis.

alanis morissette
knows her stuff.

"i have been missing the rapture this whole time of being forever incomplete"

One day I'll find relief
I'll be arrived
And
I'll be friend to my friends who know how to be friends
One day I'll be at peace
I'll be enlightened and I'll be married with children and maybe adopt
One day I will be healed
I will gather my wounds forge the end of tragic comedy

I have been running so sweaty my whole life
Urgent for a finish line
And
I have been missing the rapture this whole time of being forever incomplete

One day my mind will retreat
And I'll know God
And I'll be constantly one with her night dusk and day
One day I'll be secure Like the women I see on their thirtieth anniversaries

I have been running so sweaty my whole life
Urgent for a finish line
And I have been missing the rapture this whole time of being forever incomplete

Ever unfolding
Ever expanding
Ever adventurous
And torturous
And never done

One day I will speak freely I'll be less afraid And measured outside of my poems and lyrics and art
One day I will be faith-filled
I'll be trusting and spacious authentic and grounded and home

I have been running so sweaty my whole life
Urgent for a finish line
And I have been missing
the rapture this whole time of being forever incomplete

4 comments:

laden backpack said...

We have talked about this. There is nothing like the rapture of now. While the example is trite, when you're working on the boat you are boating. When you are cleaning the plane you are flying. I like the moment thing, the incompleteness of being right here and right now. Thanks for the thoughts.

shayna said...

Well one thing that Alanis and I have in common. We've both been running so sweaty our whole lives.

Linds said...

i wonder what alanis will name her baby.

i really like this post. and your kite.

MyLittlePhotographs said...

this picture goes so well with these words, I really love this post