2.22.2011

sintra, portugal (part 2 of 2) : pena palace

the pena palace

so. beautiful.
it was nice and misty up there
this yellow dome was my favorite

wow. the pena palace in sintra was really very beautiful. again, better than i was expecting it would be. such a pleasant surprise.
it's not technically a "castle" because it wasn't built to defend the area. but again, it's on top of a mountain and overlooks everything.

i just get so excited when i get to experience such amazing architecture and history.
and i couldn't help but love that the palace was mostly yellow, blue and red. how stylish was the royalty who had it built?

11 comments:

Cassandra said...

Both places are absolutely stunning. Thanks for taking me there with your lovely photos! ;)

communikate. said...

Wow!! Love those colors!

kELLO! said...

awesome place! i like that picture of you and ben second to last. are you home yet?

C said...

Beautiful! Both the palace and you! I'd like to read your paper presentation.

Brooke Shoko said...

GORGEOUS.
thank you for sharing your travels.
you are inspiring me to leave again.

erin said...

you two are living the life! i want to go SO badly. here, or anywhere!

jenn said...

The architecture is beautiful. And I love the colors!

Peggy said...

What an amazing experience. I love, love it. Perfectly pulchritudinous Pena Palace, with you in front of it, that is. On the other hand, what an awesome gargoyle. [opposition in all things]

Edee H. Proctor said...

Wow, Emily!!! That looks like an amazing place. I agree, it is very stylish. I would love to read your paper also.... or you could tell me more about it. Love ya
edee

Linds said...

Pena. Isn't that really close to a naughty word in Spanish? Heehe. That's all I could giggle about while looking at this.

shayna said...

Did you notice the star tile has a strong resemblance to a certain someone's wedding announcement?