5.16.2011

graduation. my master's degree.

hannah, do you see yourself in that top one?can you spot me?
me and my main man
with the parents o' minesee that funny hand? it's my nephew, sam's. and then with sweet caroline.
with eric and shayna
with kristen and kids: sam, annie, janewith dave and linda, ben's parents

i graduated over the weekend. with a master's degree of arts in women's studies. much of my family came to play, celebrate and eat with me. my ideal weekend.
i feel so grateful that i was surrounded by many of my favorite people.

especially ben. because well, he really saw me through my master's.

but even at this point, it still feels surreal that i don't have schoolwork that i am ignoring or that i will never have to earn a grade again...


i felt so strongly about going to school. that i should just do it. and so ben and i decided it could work. and it did.

i have learned so much. and i am not just saying that. so much that i don't even know where i was before i started.
i believe that the combination of living in dc, being married and being in grad school--- my entire perspective, my entire life has totally changed these last two years.

i have developed critical/analytical/theoretical thinking skills! a million times more than i did in my undergraduate degree and even then i thought i had developed that part of my brain a lot.

and so. for better or for worse i will never ever look at certain things in the same way.
feminism. women. academia. farming. food. relationships. capitalism. consumerism. media. commercialization. neoliberalism. religion. sexuality. political views. gender discrimination. education. textbooks. travel. culture. colonialism.

everything.

it's over, y'all.

22 comments:

hanner said...

there i am! haha. i could see ben sitting right there—what awesome seats.

and congratulations! can you believe it's all over??

communikate. said...

fantastic!!!

What a happy post!!

Brittany said...

aaaaaa emily, congratulations! i can't even imagine how that must feel. you look beautiful of course. can't wait to see what's next for you!

Brooke Shoko said...

aww congrats! it is great to hear that graduation is possible. hats off to you.

Cassie said...

It's not over, lady! It's just beginning!

Can you hear me cheering for you form way over here on the other side of the U.S.?! WAY!TO!GO!

miss lex: said...

yay, yay, yay! congratulations to you! :)

Em & Gar said...

congratulations lovely lady. I'm so proud. I especially loved the yellow heels I saw peeking out in one picture. I want a picture of the full outfit! :) xo

Courtney said...

congrats lady!!!!!!

naomi megan. said...

congrats emily! you are one big inspiration!

Anna said...

Congrats Emily!!! You should feel soooo proud of yourself!!!

laden backpack said...

Good show Emily. We will always remember this event
And appreciate your desire to improve yourself through the educational process. Congrats. You are great

Autumn said...

congratulations!

my first giveaway :)

EunnieProctor said...

congrats! Sad we couldn't be there. You looked really pretty.

Mandy said...

congrats! loved getting a peek of your yellow heels in the first picture. i promise i will write soon. enjoy. enjoy. enjoy. having no more homework!

shayna said...

But it's really over? What? No one told me.

sienna said...

yay! congrats! I'm so proud of you. it's a total accomplishment and you look beautiful. i'm so glad you had so much family there to celebrate with. we'll have to celebrate with you in a few weeks when you get here.

nomadic gnome said...

congrats emily!! graduation is such a happy happy time! and now you can really enjoy the summer now that school's out. :)

laden backpack said...

I am so proud of you. You have a most wonderful and faithful Family and following aNd you look totally radiant.

laden backpack said...

I am so proud of you. You have a most wonderful and faithful Family and following aNd you look totally radiant.

Katie Marie said...

Hey I was there! Well, one of them. My brother also graduated GW with his Masters and I went to the Sunday ceremony. Congrats!

kmhaskin.blogspot.com

Bek said...

congrats, emily!!!

Jennifer M. said...

Wow that is really cool! Congrats!!

Is Shayna your sister? You guys look a lot alike! ;)

Also, I was curious. What does one do with a Women's Studies degree? Teach? That's cool that you studied what you like though, and learned a lot. That's definitely a good and worthwhile thing to do.